In contrast to yesterday’s talk, this talk from Colin Savage (BBC) seemed more like a formula for producing digital stories. Central to this were four questions:
- What question does it answer?
- What character will drive the story?
- What structure/platform might fit your story?
- What are the emotional touchpoints of the story?
There were some really interesting examples mentioned:
- Her Story – an app where you watch interviews with one woman to solve a murder
- Lizzie Bennet diaries – Jane Austen as a vlog
- Twitter Fiction Festival
- Recalling 1993 – geolocated NY history in public phone boxes
- Zach King’s 6 second magic tricks on Vine
- Steve Reich’s Clapping Music app
CS talked about all stories needing to answer a question, and touched briefly on reincorporation (“show the gun in act 1, fire it in act 3”). Both seem to relate to the curiosity gap mentioned yesterday.